1. What motivated you to take a workshop and why did you pick Momenta? Francine: My motivation to take a Momenta workshop is by the experience and imagery, our friend Sara was able to receive from it.
Patrick: Was attending a Leica in the Landscape workshop and met Sarah B May. We stayed in touch, saw her work on the Sierra Leon project, talked with her and was convinced I needed to attend. The main attraction was the possibility of “weaving a story” with pictures.
2. What surprised you most about the location you visited or the experience of working with a nonprofit?
Francine: What surprised me the most about working with Meals on Wheels were the dedication and passion of the volunteers.
Patrick: I had heard about Meals on Wheels but I didn’t understand the scope of the organization and the dedication of the volunteers.
3. What was the best lesson you took away from your workshop?
Francine: The best lesson I learned from the workshop was the importance of human connection and how fulfilling it is for everyone involved.
Patrick: Things that move are harder to photograph… (ok kidding). Patience and engagement. Fly on the wall doesn’t work well, but it helps to sit down with your subject and wait till they stop paying attention to the camera.
4. What was your favorite photograph from this workshop & why?
Francine: Many of the people that have delivered to their homes is because they have no other means of full mobility, so seeing a driver at your door may be the only human interaction they have all day. This photo depicts the joy this man felt while we took several more minutes with him as he shared one of his prized possessions (handmade instrument) and the story of his days as a musician.
Patrick: This lady was a real drill sergeant. She kept chasing me around with a knife “get outta here were working”. Got her to crack a smile for a second, and then it never came back, but the knife did!
5. What would you tell a potential student to help them prepare for their experience with Momenta?
Francine: Get ready to become inspired in all aspects of photography and how to create captivating stories for non-profit organizations.